EDITOR PICKS: FINAL WORDS ON 2012 AND THE BEST ALBUMS AND TRACKS FROM RE
God thank you for the end of 2012. We survived another apocalyptic prediction, guns killing people and another visceral election. But enough with the real world, the music industry saw another year of deaths. We said goodbye to Dave Brubeck, Das Racist and essentially The Beasties. Rest in Peace Adam “MCA” Yauch (1964-2012). Let’s cheer this up a bit, we also said hello to Spotify in the US, the best new artists and the Indie becoming ironically mainstream. It was truly the year that the major label was put to bed. What do they provide any way? Distribution, please anyone can upload a track to Bandpage or Soundcloud. Marketing, come on we run this blog on pure passion and we get more traffic than Kings of Leon’s Facebook page. It’s done, it’s over, say hello to the powerful Mr. Indie, he will be your gatekeeper of the future.
As far as music. Trends that died:
1. Bands named after animals, see our Ark comment.
2. Vocals without electronics…yep
4. Indies being Indies. Alabama Shakes and The Lumineers topping charts…wow.
Trends that took off:
1. Folk is the shit, see The Lumineers (The highest charting indie track of all time)
2. The record release from so called dead bands, see The XX, Clinic oh and a My Bloody Valentine record coming in 2013
3. The female leads, see Jessie Ware, Class Actress, Beach House, Alabama Shakes, etc.
5. Mainstreaming of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All…wow they’re like the North Carolina of music. The greatest rap draft picks come from Odd Future see Tyler the Creator, Frank Ocean…
4. Sophomore releases from our faves, Tennis, Best Coast, Sleigh Bells, etc.
So we close this year with one final statement to all those bands out there…
KEEP WRITING SONGS
KEEP RECORDING BECAUSE WE ARE ALL STILL LISTENING.
Music is not dead, just the business of selling it.
KEEP CREATING AND WE WILL KEEP SHARING Fight on!
EDITORS PICKS: Top Tracks from 2012
1. Johnathon Boulet “You’re An Animal”
2. Toy “Dead & Gone”
3. The Weeknd “The Morning”
4. Earlimart “97 Heart Attack”
5. Tame Impala “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards”
6. Toy “Lose My Way”
7. New War “Ghostwalking”
8. Class Actress “Keep You”
9. Fear of Men “Green Sea”
10. Bad Books “Pyotr”
11. Grimes “Oblivion”
12. Nude Beach “Radio”
13. Terrible Truths “Don Juan”
The Spotify Playlist:
Here are 3 Bands to watch in 2013:
Savages – These ladies will eat your face off.
Mt. Wolf – Sigur Ros with some balls. Their single hit our Soundcloud with “Life Size Ghosts”
The 1975 – Ed Blow has been peppering us with these guys and we love em. If Snow Patrol wasn’t the sold out Snow Patrol.
If you’ve already forgotten here are the Top 12 Best New Bands from 2012:
Hummingbird Awards 2012
#12 Rose Elinor Dougall
#11 Fear of Men
#10 The Weeknd
#9 Nude Beach
#8 Class Actress
#7 Johnathon Boulet
#5 Hey Sholay
#4 Alt-J (∆)
#3 Jessie Ware
Hummingbird Awards – ALL YOUR BEST NEW BANDS FROM 2010, 2011 and 2012: