He is a menace to us all. The Arizona Turk’s 2012 Best of List
The Arizona Turk is one the primary contributors to New.Band.Day. He’s been a fixture since 2010 and his picks are ahhhhmazing. They may seem confusingly unfamiliar, but that’s why we love him. His picks sound odd today, but if you look back over the past several years, you’ll notice that those bands are just now breaking. The dude is a new band savant.
The Turk’s Favorites for 2012:
1. Savages – London she punks
2. TOY – His #2, Hummingbird #1
3. Palma Violets – Closet garage rockers from Lambeth outside of London
4. Merchandise – Tampa’s leather greasers are 2013 darlings…calling it now!!!
5. Wild Moth – Post Punk dudes from SF.
6. DIIV- His #6, Hummingbird #6
7. Dads – New Brunswick, NJ emo dudes. See them Uncorked in Jan. WOW!!!!
8. POLIÇA – We liked Grimes better this year, but POLIÇA was on the top of the Turk’s mind…
9. Stumbleine – 1 of 3 dubsteppers from Swarm, now solo Londoner
10. Fidlar – LA based dudes who bring surf punk back!
11. Boys – Denver Rock Chick
1. “Husbands” – Savages
2. “Motoring” – TOY
3. “Mid Air” – Paul Buchanan
4. “Lay Your Cards Out” – Polica
5. “Best Of Friends” – Palma Violets
6. “Mourning Glow” – Wild Moth
7. “Heavy To The Touch (think about tonight, forget about tomorrow)” – Dads
8. “Tomorrow” Niki and the Dove
9. “No Waves” – Fidlar
10. “If You Want Me To Stay (For A While)” – Shark Week
TWO BONUS B-SIDES THAT YOU SHOULD FIND AND BUY FOR YOUR COLLECTION
“Hard to Pretend” – The Donkeys b-side to “Won’t Let You Down” 7″
“Bright White Shimmering Sun” – TOY b-side to “Lose My Way” 7″
A Hummingbird is the most prestigious award a new band can receive. Hands down, if you win one, your life will never be the same.
First of all let me thank you, again! This is the Second Annual Hummingbird Awards and we owe it to you. This has been an amazing year for us here at NBD. We profiled another 200 bands, bands have thanked us and you fans have been supported us. So to close out this year, we’re going to count ‘em down STARTING NOW. It’s time, we’ve taken the last week to study our picks. We’ve found a few things..
1. The Rock Band rose from the ashes and then died again…
2. This may be the year of the AMAZING female and XY/XX duo. Screw that lilith crap.
3. Telling stories are so much better when you’re 60+
4. It doesn’t take much these days to become a star…slinger
5. The singer songwriter will never die
6. Elvis isn’t dead he may have just been reborn in an opium den
7. Arizona Turk has a lot to say about the list…though he’s very quiet these days
8. The Ark is now full
9. Our favorite band of the year is another shocker
10. Hummingbirds are amazing birds…Your Band Wants To Win a Hummingbird!
The Arizona Turk is one the primary contributors to New.Band.Day. He’s been a fixture since 2010 and his picks are ahhhhmazing. They may seem confusingly unfamiliar, but that’s why we love him. His picks sound odd today, but if you look back over the past several years, you’ll notice that those bands are just now […]
UNCORKED™ – Best New Bands of 2013 (5.24.13) Marriages Oh hey how are you? Yes we’ve been tweeting and not blogging, sorry. We got sucked into the world of twitter passing along new music, so if you’re in the mood follow us @newbandday So you all know the Arizona Turk, right? I am convinced he’s […]
STAFF PICKS – Our own Arizona Turk finally put pen to paper and sent us his 2011 GEM list stuffed with reverb, sonic soundwaves and spacey dreams. My mind is a whirl with all this great stuff. Read his list, like the bands on Facebook and listen to his playlist on Spotify. There are some real GEMS in here….Top 10 Bands, Tracks and Albums of 2011.
No other band put a dent in our 2011 universe, then Other Lives. They are big now, but even back in May of 2011, the band was still small. Now they’re touring with Radiohead and they are so deserving of our #1 Hummingbird Award for 2011. Get the album, tell your friends you’ve been listening since early 2011, and make them your new favorite band of 2011 and for all-time.
We don’t care that everyone knows who they are…they deserve to be voted onto the list of Hummingbird Award Winners. Listen and enjoy what everyone in The UK loves. They are better than any rock band since…The Strokes.
Best New Bands of 2010 Hummingbird Award: #1 The Tallest Man on Earth
He is the reason why I love music, why I love to share music, why we endure the crap…he is the gem that was excavated one Winter morning back in February, and now he is THE MOST IMPORTANT NEW ARTIST OF 2010. Thank you Kristian for making and creating.
Best New Bands of 2010 Hummingbird Award: #2 The Pomegranates
Fuzzy Cincinnati, Ohio surf rockers bring a fantastic new album to 2010. I think these guys have just enough quirk to break-thru. They’ve been grinders on the road and with 3 LPs and a few EPs, they deserve the accolades. Love them and so will you! Hear two new tracks now a grab the Daytrotter session NOW! They DESERVE THE HUMMINGBIRD!!!
Best New Bands of 2010 Hummingbird Award: #3 The Radio Dept.
They were voted #1 in our mid-year Best of 2010 list. They are perfection in motion, they’re Pet Shop Boys sounds are a new way to make the [Second] Wave worth it’s rise. The Radio Dept. has an amazing album and will make our final three Best Albums of 2010, posted later this week. We love The Radio Dept. and we know you will!
Best New Bands of 2010 Hummingbird Award: #4 Chapel Club
Chapel Club is Morrissey trapped in a Interpol video. They destroy the stereotypes of the Second [New] Wave, and make it fun to listen to again. They mix The Smiths, Interpol, My Vitriol, Glenn Danzig and Joy Division all into one. The single “The Shore” is brilliant and we are thankful that the Arizona Turk pulled an all-nighter to find this gem. Merry Christmas
Best New Bands of 2010 Hummingbird Award: #5 Jim Jones Revue
Seriously the Best Band of 2010 and they’re only #5…WOW, this is much harder than I thought it would be. They’re Little Richard, The Misfits and Jerry Lee Lewis all wrapped up in an angry little package. I love em soo much, I hope this endorsement gets you to listen. Listen to 2 new tracks.
This is the final post of 2010. The Top 10 Albums from Me the Editor. Damn it’s been a great year musically. If you said this year in music sucked, then you weren’t listening or reading. If you have a friend and you’re a friend then pass along NewBandDay.com to them. It’ll be their New Years Resolution, or yours if you’re looking to be a better friend. The albums are here. So go download them…NOW! See you next year.