Battery about to die and it's at :11 minutes for the 11 best of 2011...eerie.
I can’t wait until next week. I’m anxious and excited and I just want to get it over with…you understand, the anticipation to tell someone some good news. So I’m all alone in a dark hotel room, I think the electricity just crapped out on me, so it means I have :11 minutes on my Mac to make this shizzle fo real. SO here it is, 11 Bands for 2011 in all it’s glory… THE BEST OF 2011…SO FAR
11. Other Lives – This is the band that won’t leave my playlists for 2011. I love them hard.
10. Suuns – 2010 year end dandies have captured our hearts in 2011.
9. Code Pie – The BSS of 2011. Canadian love children with layered sounds.
“Love Meets Rage”
8. Widowspeak – We were there in the beginning. We’ve heard from the fans and we’ve watched them skyrocket up our PAGEVIEW list. Wow. They have more traffic then all of the 2011 bands combined. Just listen.
7. Sun Airway – Found them to be the most delightful band of 2011. I think they’ll move up the charts by year end.
“Waiting On You”
6. The Vaccines – They are the ROCK darlings of 2011 and if you haven’t heard their singles then you’re trapped in a Chilean coal mine.
“Blow it Up”
5. The Antlers – One word “FINALLY” they’ve hit the hipster mainstage. We love them.
4. The Donkeys – The Turk found these San Diego stoney garage boys.
“I Like the Way You Walk”
3. Seapony – The Trio from Seattle is our Tennis of 2011. So Spectory good.
“Always” – A little early Cure guitar riff.
2. James Vincent McMorrow – Do you know me? Really have you been reading us for awhile? Then you know we love Singer/Songwriters and JVM is better than them all this year.
“If I Had A Boat” – Try not to tear up.
1. Star Slinger – Dude has been a DJ for less than a year and his stuff is otherworldly.
GIVING YOU THE BIRD…THE WHOLE 2011…SO FAR PLAYLIST —>
So it’s here, well almost here… July 1st marks the 182nd Day of the Year. Thats the official 50% day, the half-time of 2011 and our time to post the best new bands of 2011…SO FAR. So get on it and let us know who you love and who we missed.
Sun Airway is to music as beer is to summer...f'n perfect!
Band of the Day (6.20.11)
We’re buried in bands and electronically buried in MP3s. So many tracks, bands and albums to wade through, we really don’t know where to start. Arizona Turk had a mild stroke with our hiatus, but we’re back and the bitch is ready to burst with some tracks and bands that will blow your mind. Let’s begin with our schedule for this week. Starting tomorrow we will be counting down the Top 10 Band of 2011…SO FAR. We’re also celebrating our 1 year anniversary so as a gift to our loyal readers, we’re “Giving You the Bird”…literally, the playlist for download. Let us know your email and the playlist will be in your inbox. Happy listening and thank you for being here for the ride.
Our Band of the Day Today is Sun Airway. If you’ve followed our little blog since 2010, you’ll know we had a little band crush on Lord Huron. Actually we still do…but he’s so big now, we’ve sent him off to the masses for their enjoyment. A happy graduation of sorts. We compared Huron to the layered “Pet Sound” for the Little Mermaidians. That oceanic version of Animal Collective. Well Sun Airway is like being on the ship that sails over Lord Huron’s underwater dream. Click here to hear a little Huron. Sun Airway is the comfortable pun intended blanket of sunshine that envelopes you when you hear great summer tunes. It’s relaxing layered psych pop that makes for a great Saturday afternoon in the heat of summer. I love Sun Airway and they will hopefully get past the hipster union and make a name for themselves. Enjoy the tracks below, because we’re in love…again.
Hometown: Philadelphia-based project
Members: ex-A-Sides Patrick Marsceill and Jon Bathmus
Sonic Soulmates: Lord Huron, Animal Collective, Here We Go Magic (Featured on NBD 3.25.10)
“Waiting On You” – Love the summer sound
“Oh, Naoko” – From their original EP, and as Pet Soundy as you can get. Great track
“Swallowed By The Night” – Here is my description…the soundtrack to a bearded hipster Carnival Cruise line to Ensenada